David Evans, PhD
The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta is pleased to announce that David Evans has been appointed vice-dean of research, effective July 1, 2013.
Evans is a professor and associate director of the Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology. His research focuses on poxvirus genetics and DNA replication. In collaboration with colleagues in the Department of Oncology, he also explores the application and commercialization of poxviruses as targeted oncolytic agents. Evans’ scientific program is supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFIA), the Alberta Cancer Foundation, Alberta Innovates and the Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology.
Evans obtained his PhD in biochemistry from the University of Alberta in 1982 and, after postdoctoral studies at Berkeley and Harvard, joined the faculty of the University of Guelph in 1987. In 2003, he returned to the University of Alberta to become chair of the Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology. Evans has recently been involved in creating two biotech companies to commercialize discoveries. He is also a member of the World Health Organization’s smallpox scientific advisory committee.
As vice-dean of research, Evans will play an instrumental role in advocating for graduate students and reinforcing the faculty’s track record in improving patient outcomes through advances in scientific discovery.
Role of Vice-Dean, Research
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the dean and faculty on research matters.
- Manage the research portfolio of the faculty.
- Administer research disputes, scientific integrity issues.
- Represent the dean in his/her absence as delegated.
- Faculty Research Committee
- Northern Alberta Clinical Trials Research Committee Management Board
- Faculty Search-and-Selection Committee for Research Chairs
- Voting member:
- Dean's Executive Committee
- Chairs' Executive Committee
- Chairs' Committee
- FoMD Buildings Update Committee
- Oversee research affairs and administration of the Office of Research.
- Oversee the review of all research grant applications.
- Administer the allocation and management of research space.
- Participate in the university's ethics review process.
- Oversee Ethics and Scientific Integrity Day.
- Manage all research grants and awards within the faculty.
- Collaborate with the Research Services Office on effective administration support for researchers and technology transfers.
- Oversee the faculty's core research facilities and services including HSLAS.
- Oversee graduate and post-doctoral education.
- Oversee MD/PhD program.
- Oversee clinical investigator program.
- Oversee Canada Research Chair nominations.
- Oversee the search-and-selection process for endowed research chairs.
- Oversee recruitment of faculty members with greater than 40 per cent research commitment.
- Oversee the approval and review of research groups, centres and institutes.
- Represent the faculty on the Northern Alberta Clinical Trials Board.
- Co-ordinate faculty nominations for local, provincial, national and international awards.
- Oversee and co-ordinate the FoMD Canada Foundation for Innovation allocations.
- Oversee Summer Studentship Research Program.
- Oversee Tri-council Health Support Unit and bridge funding.