Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find information for the following questions.

How do I set up an appointment for psychological services (Therapy appointments)

Referral by OAW office: You can contact the OAW office ( to meet with one of our assistant deans to request a referral. You can share as much or as little information as you feel comfortable with, and they will assist you with the referral. This is the best and most convenient way to get a referral, as our assistant deans are extremely knowledgeable and experienced with learners' concerns. They can also support you in accessing other resources if necessary.

How does confidentiality work? Will my information be shared with anybody?

Confidentiality in psychological services forms the foundation of a trusting relationship. As a result, your confidentiality is of utmost importance, and information gathered as part of your therapy will be kept strictly confidential. Information will not be disclosed with your family or, training program, other OAW office team members, or any other person without your prior knowledge and/or written consent, subject to the exceptions listed below.

In accordance with legal and ethical standards of psychological practise, we may share the information obtained during your meetings with your psychologist without your specific consent if:

  • your statements or behaviour suggest that you are likely to harm yourself or someone else, or pose a risk to public safety;
  • your statements or behaviour suggests that a child or adult may be abused, neglected, or otherwise harmed by you or someone else;
  • a court orders us to turn over these records or orders us to testify in matters concerning you;
  • there are concerns about driving safety, then notice to your family physician is necessary (Alberta); or
  • other organizations with mandated access to personal health records request access to your records, in accordance with individual provincial legislation (e.g., Worker's Compensation Board).

The only information that other OAW team members will have access to is your attendance since appointments are made and managed by the OAW office.

What types of issues can I seek therapy for?

You can access therapy for any personal and/or professional concerns that are affecting your mental health and wellness, including:
  • Mood disorders (Depression, bipolar disorder, etc.)
  • Anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder, phobias
  • Trauma, sexual abuse/assault, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Eating disorders and disordered eating
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Sexual orientation, identity and gender expression
  • Stress management and burnout
  • Critical incidents and vicarious trauma
  • Self-harm and emotion regulation
  • Relationships and family concerns

Why is there a waiting list?

During the year, there are times when the demand for psychological services is higher than our capacity to meet those needs. This can arise from a higher number of learners that are accessing services and/or complex cases requiring more clinical time. We have created a waiting list for learners who opt to wait to access services. If you are in need of services and cannot wait, see below for alternative options.

There is a waiting list and I need help now. What can I do?

If you are in need of services at this time, you can access any of the options on our resources page.