International Students

The University of Alberta is home to over 39,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Over 6,500 students are classified as international students. Within the Alberta MBA, half of all full-time MBA students are international students. 

The University of Alberta is committed to helping international students adjust to life in Canada, accomplish their academic objectives and ensure they have opportunities to share their knowledge and experiences with both the campus and off-campus communities.

Working in Canada During Your Studies

International students may qualify to work off-campus without a work permit, during completion of their studies. If eligible, your study permit will allow you to work off campus up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full-time during scheduled breaks (reading weeks as well as winter and summer holidays). Please see the Government of Canada's Work Off Campus page to see if you qualify.

U of A International Student Services

International Student Services is a stand alone department designed to help all University of Alberta international students adjust to life in Canada and provide a supportive environment while studying. In coming to the University, you are joining a dynamic international community. While it's important to decide when you should arrive, there are many things you need to consider and do beforehand:
Prepare for UAlberta Culture & Lifestyle Immigration

Working in Canada Post-Graduation

All international graduates of the full-time Alberta MBA program are eligible for a three-year Canadian Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWPP). Not only does this represent a significant advantage that Canadian schools have over other international schools, but it also allows for a longer work permit than other one-year Canadian MBA programs can offer. Please see the Government of Canada's Work After Graduation Eligibility page for more information.

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Open Work Permit

Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit while you are in the full-time MBA program, which would be valid for the same time period as your study permit. The open work permit means your spouse or common-law partner does not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada. Please visit the Government of Canada's Open Work Permit for Spouses or Common-Law Partners page for more information.