Fall 2019 Update
We have been advised by the Government of Alberta that due to an application and payment processing system upgrade for 2019/2020 Alberta Student Aid scholarships and awards information will not be available until the fall.
The University of Alberta will update our Alberta Student Aid scholarship and award information for the 2019-20 year as program information from Alberta Student Aid becomes available. For more information, please contact the Alberta Student Aid Service Centre.
Value: up to $4,000 ($2,000 per term)
Indigenous Careers Awards are valued up to $4,000, and are designed to encourage Indigenous learners who reside in Alberta (First Nations, Métis and Inuit) to pursue and complete post-secondary studies in degree programs leading to high-demand career outcomes in Alberta.
These scholarships are funded by the government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education, and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
Application Open: TBD
Closing Deadline: TBD
Variable number of awards available
- Be enrolled in one of the following areas of study (degree program or major/minor):
- Physical, Natural, or Applied Sciences (including Engineering, Science and any BSc in ALES)
- Health Sciences (including BSc Kinesiology)
- Have achieved satisfactory academic standing (admission to the University or 2.0 GPA)
- Be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-normal course load at the University of Alberta
- Students registered with Student Accessibility Services will be assessed based on the individual's approved course load requirement
- Students enrolled full time in both the Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 terms are eligible for $4,000
- Students enrolled full time in only one term are eligible for $2,000
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- be an Alberta Resident as defined by Alberta Scholarships. An Alberta Resident, according to the Alberta Scholarship Act, is:
- a person who has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for a period of 12 months immediately prior to attending a postsecondary institution, or
- a person whose parents or guardians have maintained permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months and reside in Alberta, or
- a person who marries an Alberta resident
- Provide proof of identity Indian/First Nations, Non Status Indian/First Nations, Métis, or Inuit
- a certified copy of a Status card;
- a certified copy of a Métis membership card from one of the five Métis Provincial Affiliates; Métis Nation of Alberta, Métis Nation of Ontario, Manitoba Métis Federation, Métis Nation Saskatchewan, Métis Nation British Columbia. Additionally, the student may present a membership card for the Métis Settlements General Council;
- a certified copy of a Nunavut Trust Certificate card;
- proof that an ancestor’s name has been entered 1) in the Indian Register according to the Indian Act, or 2) on the band list of an individual band, or 3) as beneficiaries of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement or other claim regions such as Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and Inuvialuit;
- written confirmation of Indigenous identity from Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada or Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated;
- written confirmation of membership by a band council which has enacted its own band membership code
- Preference will be given to students in upper years of their programs but all eligible students are encouraged to apply
For further clarification on eligibility, please visit Alberta Student Aid's Indigenous Careers Award webpage or email email@example.com
How to apply
Apply for Awards
For application-based awards administered by the Office of the Registrar, you can apply online:
You can also access the award application form via Bear Tracks.
Please note: Proof of First Nations, Métis, or Inuit identity will be required (eligible applicants will be contacted to submit documentation after they apply).
Students will be notified in late November.
To find out more about accepting and declining your award and disbursement, please visit Information for Award Recipients.