The Office of Advocacy & Wellbeing (OAW) in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry looks after issues pertaining to the health and well-being of learners. The office also advocates on their behalf.

When should I contact Advocacy & Wellbeing?

The easy answer is any time you are having ANY kind of problem that you feel is interfering with your studies; remember that there is no problem too small or insignificant. If it is bothering you, we are here to listen. If left unattended, many issues can grow into bigger and more disruptive problems. It is very common for us to hear, "I didn't think it was a big deal," or, "I thought I could deal with it," or, "I was embarrassed to come to you" when someone is in serious academic trouble. Come to us before problems get out of hand.

Learners can encounter a wide range of problems. These might include:
  • academic appeals and support*
  • conflict resolution
  • disability and accommodation
  • physical illness
  • personal or family crises
  • mental health
  • harassment and intimidation
  • trouble with a partner
  • substance abuse
  • legal trouble
  • financial difficulties (awards/bursaries and emergency funding)
  • career advice

It is our job to help you deal with these types of problems. If we cannot help you, we will refer you to someone who can.

Anyone facing academic difficulties should contact the our office for additional advice and support. Undergraduate learners can also contact their course or rotation co-ordinator for assistance.

*It is important to note that our office is at 'arms'-length' from the academic offices. We do not share information with those making academic decisions on grades, promotions, etc., without your permission and unless it advantages you.

Who should I contact?

Dr Cheryl Goldstein & Dr Sarah Burton-MacLeod are available to meet with undergraduate students and can be reached at oawadmin@ualberta.ca or 780-492-3150 to schedule an appointment.