International SOS

For International Travel Medical and Security Assistance

A message to faculty and staff

If you travel internationally as part of your work with the University of Alberta, you have access to an organization to help with planning and emergency assistance. The organization is called International SOS.

International SOS complements and significantly adds to the services provided by the university's emergency medical assistance provider, Allianz Global Assistance, which is included with your Sun Life benefits. (Alliance Global Assistance replaced Europ Assistance.)

This page explains when to use each service.

Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance (included with your Sun Life benefits) is the one to contact if you experience an acute illness or accidental injury that requires treatment by a doctor when you are outside of Alberta.

Before you receive services, you, or someone travelling with you, should contact Allianz Global Assistance. You can call any time from anywhere in the world. The professionals at Allianz Global Assistance can work directly with doctors and hospitals to confirm benefits and arrange for payment.

These services are also available to you for leisure travel.

International SOS

International SOS, which the university contracted with in 2016, is the service to use for information and help for things that don't involve a medical emergency.

Prior to and during your trip you can use the International SOS website to find extensive health and security information about almost any place on Earth (to log in, you will need the University of Alberta ID number, which you can find in Google Drive if you sign in through your university account). From the website you can request email notifications about the place you are visiting. You can also download the app for your mobile device.

While away you can phone International SOS to speak directly to a physician or security expert about any health concern or security situation. (If you have an acute illness or injury that requires the care of a physician, please contact Allianz Global Assistance.)

Travel cards to take with you

Download the Allianz Global Assistance and International SOS travel cards here (you must be signed in through your U of A Google account). Note that the Allianz Global Assistance travel card is the same one available through Human Resource Services.

Before you go, register in UGo

UGo is the university's travel registry.

In the event of an emergency or crisis situation while travelling overseas for research, study or university business, this information can help both the University of Alberta and the Government of Canada obtain knowledge of:

  • Where you are located
  • How to get in contact with you
  • How we can be of assistance to you
  • Your emergency contact information