Gender Transition

The Human Rights Act was amended  in June 2017 to ensure that gender identity and gender expression were added to the list of protected grounds under the Act. At the same time, Criminal Code provisions were also amended adding to the list of identifiable groups protected from hate propaganda.

Human Resource Services (HRS) is committed to assisting and supporting staff and faculty members transitioning in the workplace. The following information and resources have been provided to assist. While not all of the following information will apply, some of the benefit information may also be relevant while supporting a partner, child or family member.

What transitioning faculty or staff member Can expect from management + Human resources

All faculty and staff members can expect that their decision will be respected and that programs, services and benefits are accessible by faculty/staff members during a transition. Managers and leaders will be sufficiently educated on the resources available and support will be provided as requested/as appropriate.

Office(s) + Resources Available to Assist During Transition

The offices that can provide resources and services to staff and faculty members on a number of life events including but not limited to gender transition, are:

Services Through Employee + Family Assistance Program (EFAP)

The EFAP program maintains a list of clinicians experienced with sexual health and gender identity. To access a current list of clinicians, access our provider directly by calling 780-428-7587.

Starting Medical Transition

If you or one of your eligible dependents (as defined by the Supplementary Health Care plan) would like to start the process of medical transition in Alberta, you will need to be referred to a gender specialist.

If you are not already working with a family physician who can make the necessary referrals to specialists such as psychiatrists and endocrinologists, the University Health Centre offers services to students, staff and faculty.

Alternatively, Health Link  can also make suggestions for family physicians currently accepting new patients. Call 811 or 1-866-408-5465.

Benefits to Assist During Transition

Individuals are encouraged to find their benefits advisor through Find Your HR Contact . Each individual working within Human Resource Services is bound by confidentiality and therefore any inquiries you have regarding your benefits will be held in the strictest of confidence.

Name Change

Name changes can be requested and processed through Human Resources. In order to make the change, a completed Name Change  form must be submitted with a Legal Change of Name Certificate or Passport. If requesting a name change by mail, a Certified True Copy of the aforementioned documentation must be signed by a Guarantor. 

Preferred name: If you are interested in changing your preferred name, you have the ability to do so on BearTracks . Once logged in, under Personal Information and Names, you are able to edit your preferred name from that screen. Once changed, the preferred name will automatically be the name generated on your ONEcard, class and lab lists.

Change CCID

If you wish to change your CCID and have already legally changed your name, Information and Technology Services can either help create an alias for you through your profile manager that will change the way your name is displayed, or they may be able to change your CCID completely.

Change my ONEcard

In order to change your ONEcard, you will be required to provide 2 pieces of government issued photo ID. If you do not have a photo ID, government issued non-photo ID such as a birth certificate, social insurance card or temporary license can be used. If an individual wishes to use the preferred name change feature on BearTracks, the system will populate the name field when a new ONEcard is requested. There will be a fee associated with changing/replacing your card. The ONEcard site provides the associated fees.

All-gender Washrooms on Campus

The current on-line version of the University of Alberta campus map  identifies all-gender/single use washrooms. As building renovations continue on campus, there will likely be additions to this list. It is advisable to check back frequently. An updated map can be found by visiting  and searching all-gender washrooms.