Field researchers must deal with various permissions (e.g. ethical, scientific, land access and regulatory) in order to complete their field projects.

Ethical + scientific licensing permission resources

See the resources on the right side of this page.

Accessing Lands

If you are conducting research on grazing lease lands, Crown land or private land, you will need to get permission to access. Even on Crown or public lands you may need approval. For example, if companies have a disposition, the land is leased for grazing or a trapper has a line. It is important to understand and comply with any conditions for entering the property. It is strongly recommended that you always get written approval to be on the property from the landowner.

Accessing Lands for Research Purposes FAQ

Certificate of Insurance

If you require a Certificate of Insurance (as per a request from the landowner or a collaborator), see Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment's requirements.