Social Insurance Number

Hiring departments must require employees to inform them of their Social Insurance Number (SIN) number within three days of when they start work.

SIN beginning with the number "9"

If you hire a person who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, make sure that:

  • the person's SIN begins with the number "9".
  • the SIN card has an expiry date.
  • the person has a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If the SIN Card does not have an expiry date it is no longer valid. Refer the person to the nearest Service Canada Centre.