University-Owned Vehicles

What is Covered

Covers all costs (including defence costs) for the Third Party Liability for bodily injury or property damage to others arising from the ownership, use, operation of all licensed vehicles which are owned, leased (long term lease) by the University.

The University self-insures physical loss or damage to University vehicles subject to internal deductibles.

Who is covered

Authorized drivers while driving on approved university business in university-owned vehicles, including vehicles rented directly through Transportation Services. Note: a Cross-Border form must be completed and approved by Transportation Services so the driver will have an authorization letter to take a university-owned vehicle outside of Canada.

What is not Covered:

  • Non-owned vehicles including short term rentals of less than 30 days (eg. from Enterprise, Budget, etc)
  • Personal automobile (i.e. employee vehicle, volunteer's vehicle)
  • Fines, tickets
  • Road hazards (eg. tires, windshields, rock chips). Please check with Transportation Services to find out if any road hazard coverage is included as part of your Transportation Services rental rate.
  • Vehicles operated under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs


An internal deductible may apply to a faculty, department or ancillary unit regardless of the amount of the claim. Deductible amount will be determined based on the reason(s) for loss(es) and consideration of the loss(es) as preventable or non-preventable. A $500 deductible will apply for golf cart losses. A $2,500 deductible will apply to all other vehicle losses resulting from off-road activities. In the event of a loss submit an automobile claim online.

NOTE: All University owned vehicles and trailers MUST be registered with the University Transportation Services.

Crossing the Border

If drivers will be crossing the Canada/U.S. border with a university vehicle, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) might ask for documentation that the driver of a vehicle is either the lawful owner or authorized driver of that vehicle. CBP can turn the driver back if they fail to provide such documentation. Please complete this form to obtain the "Vehicle Border Crossing Authority Letter." Please contact Transportation Services for assistance. Note: there is a $25 admin fee for this service.